Now that I’m past quarter-life, I’ve started looking into what I can do to slow my skin’s aging. I know how fast it can go downhill from the age of 25, and I want to make sure that I put the necessary breaks to the process. So I’ve compiled a list of best practices for maintaining our skin’s youth, and I hope you find it helpful!
1. Water. water. water. I cannot underscore the importance of water enough! Even in my last post about losing weight, getting enough fluid intake is at the top of my list. It’s cheap, it’s healthy, and it’s abundant. Take advantage of it!
2. Invest in a good anti-aging products early on. I read somewhere that we should start investing in anti-aging products for our skin as early as 25, especially because cell regeneration starts slowing down before our thirties. You may not agree, but imagine getting into the practice of using anti-aging products when it’s too late! I started using the Olay Miracle Boost Youth Pre-Essence and the Olay Micro-sculpting Cream Moisturiser, and based on my skin analysis during a recent event, I can tell it’s already working!
3. Don’t skimp on your greens! They’re called glow foods for a reason. The simple explanation to why green, leafy veggies can save your skin from premature aging is that they are naturally rich in Vitamin E, which protects our skin from free radical skin. Greens are also rich in folate and beta-carotene, both of which help with cell regeneration, and new cell production.
4. Stay away from stress. Get at least 6 hours of RESTFUL sleep every night. Avoid toxic people and relationships. Break down overwhelming days into chunks of manageable tasks. Set a day every month for pampering and me-time. Whatever you do, don’t let stress get to you!
5. Change your pillow cases weekly. One often neglected practice is having a regular schedule for changing pillow cases and beddings. If you’re the type who crashes on your bed the moment you get home after a long day at work, and with no time to spare for washing and drying your hair before sleeping, then know that you are bringing home the dirt and grime from everywhere you’ve been during the day! And while understandably not all of us have the time and energy to wash our hair before bedtime, we should all make time for routinely changing our pillow cases on a weekly basis. This prevents dirt from your hair, or your face when you don’t remove your makeup properly before sleep, from accumulating on your pillow cases and becoming a disaster for your skin! Set an alarm on weekly repeat to remind you to change your pillow cases and beddings.
6. Exercise keeps your skin healthy and firm. There are even studies now suggesting that exercise can reverse early signs of aging! Again, while not all of us can afford to go to the gym or spare an hour a day dedicated to exercise, there are a number of ways to lead a more active lifestyle, such as opting for a walk than going for a ride, or challenging yourself to use the stairs instead of the escalator. If all else fails, at least indulge in the least time-consuming facial exercise of all: smiling.
7. Sunscreen is your friend. The sun’s harmful UVA/UVB rays not only cause wrinkles and premature aging — it can also cause skin cancer! Eep! Make sure you’re protected everyday by wearing sunblock before heading out, and keeping a bottle of sunblock in your bag for when you’re in a hurry!
These are my top seven best practices for maintaining a healthier and younger-looking skin, but I’m definite that there are other great ways to keep your skin from aging too early. I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic, so feel free to pitch in with your ideas by sharing them with me in the Comments Section below! -HANA