Have you ever heard of the pre-wedding ritual that many Indonesians swear by can help make the bride’s skin smoother and whiter beyond belief? The secret lies in the beauty treatment called “Lulur”, which in Javanese means “to coat the skin”. The luxurious treatment was once only used by brides before their wedding in order to prepare them for their wedding day, and even took up to seven days to finish. Now, it has become a staple treatment in many spas in Indonesia and Malaysia. What Lulur does basically is it aids in the removal of dead skin cells and dirt in order to uncover the radiant and smooth skin underneath. It’s a relief to know that women don’t have to make the trip to Malaysia or Indonesia in order to enjoy this relaxing and transforming ritual. UNILAB’s Asian Secrets Lulur Indonesia Whitening Body Scrub lets Filipina women enjoy the effects of Lulur in the comforts of their home.
UNILAB’s Asian Secrets comes in three variants: the green variant with Green Tea and Vitamin E, the blue variant with Seaweed Extract and Vitamin E, and the purple variant with Licorice and Mulberry Leaf Extract. Personally, I find each of them similar in effect, but different in their scents, so it’s really a personal preference when it comes to choosing a variant to purchase. I find the purple variant sweet smelling due to the mulberry extract, while the green one reminds me of the relaxing scent of peppermint. My favorite would have to be the blue variant because it smells like baby cologne, which has a very gentle scent that I am very fond of.
Here’s what to expect from the Asian Secrets Body Scrub:
- Exfoliation for whiter and smoother skin: the Lulur beads in the body scrub helps scrape off dirt and other impurities like dead skin cells off the surface of the skin, leaving you with a more radiant glow.
- Frequent use of the body scrub can help reduce skin pigmentation and helps even out the skin tone by getting rid of dark spots. Best used in areas prone to darkening, such as elbows, knees, armpits, and the areas between the thighs (not the feminine area!)
- The components of the body scrub helps protect the skin and keep it healthy. The purple variant with the Licorice and Mulberry Leaf Extract helps whiten the skin, so if you’re really going for a fairer-looking skin, go for the purple variant instead!
Directions include scrubbing the body scrub all over your skin with extra attention to dark areas while dry, then rinsing with water afterwards. There is no recommended frequency on the packaging, but I use it as much as once a day. The current recommended use also suggests using it on dry skin (which could be more effective), but I prefer to use it with soap, so that the lulur beads stick to the surface of the soap, and I can use the soap as a loofah of some sort, making it dual-purpose!
I only use the three scrubs mentioned above for my body, and a separate scrub for the face.
The reason you can’t use the body scrub for your face is that the skin on your face is much more sensitive than on the rest of your body. Instead, use the Asian Secrets Whitening Facial Scrub with gentler and finer microbeads to achieve the same effect for your face. Use it on a dry face, and gently massage in circular motion to improve blood circulation to the face. It goes without saying that you should avoid the eye area if you don’t want any in it (but I said it anyway, in an abundance of precaution). I love this facial scrub because it does get the job done, and you can feel the difference when you touch your skin after rinsing. On the instructions at the back of the tube, however, it recommends that the facial scrub be used every other day.
What I liked about the products:
- The scents! I love how it leaves a gentle trace of fragrance on my skin
- The consistency and the lulur beads get the job of exfoliating done really well
- It’s hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested
- I didn’t break out when I used the facial scrub! No redness, dryness, or itching.
- Affordably priced. One jar of their body scrub can last a month or two, depending on the frequency of use
- I love that there’s a separate scrub for the face and the body
What can be improved:
- Maybe it should come with a loofah to make the exfoliation more effective
- A set of one for the body and one for the face would be great (since you buy them together anyway!)
I’ve shared these products with the rest of the household, and everyone’s loving it so far. I’ll continue using these and see how it would improve my complexion and my skin’s health as time passes by. :)
How about you, have you used any of the Asian Secrets products? Do let me know by sounding off in the comments section below!-HANA